It’s the middle of January, which means it is almost tax season (the IRS officially designated January 24 as the first day of tax season). At this point, tax documents have probably started showing up in your mailbox. While it may seem like there is plenty of time, the sooner and more organized you can make your documents, the smoother the process will be.
Just like last year, we thought it would be helpful to create a checklist for easy organizing of your documents that will help to streamline the process for all of us!
First you will receive your organizer in the mail. The organizer is for use in accumulating the information needed to prepare your 2021 federal income tax return. Please complete and return it to us as soon as possible.
Please note: you must remove the first page of the organizer when placing the organizer in the return envelope and make sure the Sweeney Conrad address is showing in the window in order for us to receive the organizer timely.
To make sure we have all of the right information organized efficiently, please read the following tips:
- Make sure to fill out the questionnaire located towards the front of the organizer at a minimum.
- Update address, phone, and emails as necessary.
- Original tax documents are preferred to copies or photos.
- Provide one copy of your 1099s. You can keep any duplicate copies.
- Do not use highlighters on your tax documents.
- No need to tear apart tax documents if they are perforated. Just keep them together.
- Avoid post it notes. Write notes and questions on a separate piece of paper or on the tax organizer.
- If you are grouping documents together, avoid stapling and taping them. This will make it easier when your documents are being scanned.
- For charitable deductions, make sure you send us the thank you letters and donation receipts for donations over $250. You can summarize donations less than $250.
- If you are summarizing your medical expenses you do not need to send us the receipts. Just keep them in your files.
- If you are summarizing your expenses for Schedule C or your rental, you do not need to send us the receipts.
- Stack all supporting documents behind the organizer. They do not need to be organized within the organizer.
- When in doubt, just send us the document and we can review and determine if it needs to be included in your tax return.
Last but not least, please contact us if you have any questions. We are here to help! E-mail email@example.com or call 425.629.1990.
We are thrilled to have you as a client and look forward to a successful 2022 tax season!